Baked honey chilli lemon garlic chicken – succulent chicken thighs with the most finger licking hot and sweet, lemony and garlicky sticky sauce.
The chicken thighs are browned in a pan and then baked in the sauce. The latter is reduced later to form the most delicious, and did I say, finger licking coating for the chicken. It is hard to resist having the sauce by itself. But do be careful and let it cool down a little to avoid burning your tongue.
This dish can be whipped up very easily; the stovetop cooking is just about 10-12 minutes; the oven does the rest. Moreover, the steps are not very complicated and before you know it, you will have this plate of deliciousness to gush over and enjoy!
The chicken thighs, as I mentioned earlier, are browned in a pan for a few minutes . A quick and easy sauce is then poured over it. The dish is then placed in the oven until the chicken thighs are cooked through. The sauce is quite liquidy at this stage and it is almost like poaching the chicken in it.
By the time the chicken is cooked through, the sauce will still feel liquidy. It is then reduced on the stovetop to be poured over the chicken.
We had ours with some steamed rice, roasted broccoli and an extra squeeze of lemon.The succulent pieces of chicken with the sticky sauce was surely delightful!
Continue reading for the full recipe and video for this baked honey chilli lemon garlic chicken.
All the non-vegetarian recipes on this website can be found here.
You might also like the following recipes from this website-
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
On another note, if you try any recipe from this website, do take a photo and tag me on instagram @sunita_bhuyan. I would love to see your creations! Also, do connect on other socials too; links to all my socials are given below-STAY CONNECTED:
Baked honey chilli lemon garlic chicken
- 4 large chicken thighs, skinless, bone in
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- 7-8 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp crushed red chillies
- juice of one large lemon
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 1 red and 1 green chilli, cut into thin slices at an angle
- a small handful of white sesame seeds
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C
- Make horizontal incisions on the chicken thighs.
- Rub the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and keep aside.
- In a bowl or small jug, add the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, crushed red chillies, garlic and lemon juice. Whisk well and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add the olive oil.
- Over high heat, add the chicken pieces and cook for 5-6 minutes or till they are golden on both sides. Keep turning over every now and then.
- Remove from heat and arrange the chicken in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour the honey sauce over the chicken. Spoon some of the liquid over the chicken pieces.
- Place the baking dish in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken pieces.
- Return the dish to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or till the chicken is cooked completely.
- Take out the chicken pieces from the sauce and arrange on a serving tray.
- Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about five minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the plain flour along with a couple of tablespoons of the sauce. Mix well.
- Add the slurry to the sauce and keep stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Simmer for a minute or so until the sauce starts to thicken. Do not let it thicken too much as it will thicken further on cooling( see notes below).
- Cool the sauce slightly and spoon it over the chicken pieces. Sprinkle the sliced chilli and sesame seeds on top.
- Serve with noodles or steamed rice. We had ours with some plain rice and roasted broccoli.
- If you are not going to eat immediately, you can reheat the sauce slightly before spooning over the chicken. Make sure to reheat the chicken too.
Until next time,