This baked mint and coriander chicken is one of our family favourites. I have made it innumerable times, for family and friends at home and taken it as a contribution to joint parties. It is very succulent, full of fresh flavours and easy to make too!
I hadn’t made it in a while though and had promised the family to make some rolls with this chicken as the main filling. I decided to seize this as an opportunity to do a post and also record a video. But life had other plans in store and I was left with very little time to make them, let alone make notes and record a proper video. The rolls were made and devoured in record time. I had just a little left over to click pictures later. I did manage to click a few while making it and the daughter recorded a bit too. The video is not the most detailed, but it’s there if you want to get the idea. This recipe is a keeper and I couldn’t wait to share it with you, so here we go.
To check doneness-
This chicken does not need to brown all over to be done. So do not look for colouring to gage its doneness. Just check the inside; if it is cooked through remove from the oven.
I filled some Indian flatbreads (parathas) with the chicken, some sliced and pan fried peppers and red onion (just enough to take the raw edge off) with a dash of lime, and a little Greek yogurt. This chicken can also be enjoyed on it’s own as a starter or snack; a dash of lime / lemon is all that is needed! Or add some to a sandwich!
Continue reading for the printable recipe for this baked mint and coriander chicken.
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
Baked mint and coriander chicken
- 900 gms skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 150 gms fresh coriander
- a small handful of fresh mint leaves
- 4 -5 fresh green chillies
- 40 gms fresh ginger
- 5 -6 large cloves of garlic
- 5 heaped tbsp of Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp ghee
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt to taste
- Using very little water, grind together the coriander, mint, ginger, green chilli, garlic into a thick and slightly coarse mixture.
- In a bowl, add the chicken, the ground mixture and the rest of the ingredients and mix well, massaging the marinade into the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 deg (fan) and grease a baking tray.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl (chicken along with the marinade) to a tray and arrange in a single layer.
- Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or till the chicken is cooked through.
- Half way through, carefully take out the tray and discard almost all of the liquid.
- Stir a couple of times in between.
- The chicken does no need to brown, just check that it is cooked through; it will be moist and succulent.
- Enjoy on it's own as a snack /starter with a dash of lime / lemon, or use it as a filing in wraps, rolls etc.
All the non vegetarian recipes on this website can be found here.
You might also like to try these recipes from this website-
Until next time,