These grilled chicken skewers wrapped in flatbreads went to form a great healthy meal. Boneless strips of chicken thighs were marinated in a yogurt and walnut marinade. After 6-8 hours in the fridge, they were skewered along with some peppers and onions and grilled until cooked. Made with just a tablespoon of oil for a kilogram of chicken, yet, still moist and succulent. The chicken skewers were then paced in the middle of flatbreads (I used bigger sized Indian rotis made with just whole wheat flour and water), drizzled with a yogurt dressing, a squeeze of lemon, wrapped and enjoyed.
This dish uses very minimum spices and oil; yet does not compromise on the taste. It is in the true sense a healthy and guilt free indulgence. The chicken can be marinated overnight and grilled the next day. This chicken recipe can also be enjoyed on it’s own or as an accompaniment to other dishes.
I love when things come together. I was planning to marinate the chicken in other ingredients, but realised I was running short of them. That is when this particular marinade came about. The tale of every home cook- make do with whatever is available!
I have used chicken thighs as they are more moist and they don’t dry out easily. Being dark meat, chicken thighs are more full of flavours then chicken breasts.
The days are definitely brightening up. Hopefully, soon lockdown restrictions will be eased further to enable us to enjoy the company of our near and dear ones. These grilled chicken skewer wraps can be a great addition to your picnic basket or even to enjoy at home by yourself or with your dear ones.
Continue reading for the detailed recipe for these delicious grilled chicken skewers.
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
Grilled chicken skewers
- 1 kg skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 2 tsp salt
- 36 gms fresh coriander
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2-3 large peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- lemon slices to serve
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- a little chilli powder and cumin powder
- salt to taste
To make wraps
- 12 large flatbreads (I used large home made Indian rotis made with just whole wheat flour and water)
- 12 metal or wooden skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for a few minutes before using.
- Rub the chicken strips with salt.
- Grind together the walnuts, yogurt, coriander, lemon juice and ginger-garlic paste into a slightly coarse mixture.
- Add the walnut-yogurt mixture to the chicken and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Skewer the chicken, pepper and onion pieces. I folded each chicken strip in half and then added them to the skewer. Alternate the chicken with pepper and onion pieces.
- Heat a grill pan and brush the tablespoon of oil.
- When the pan and oil is hot, add a few of the chicken, pepper and onion skewers to the pan.
- Cook over high heat for a minute each on the top and bottom sides and 30 seconds each on the other two sides.
- Reduce the heat (keep between low and medium) and cook for about 10-15 minutes or till the chicken is done.
- Prick the chicken pieces in between cooking. Also. during cooking, brush the chicken with the juices released.
- Remove the chicken skewers to a plate and repeat the above for all the rest of the chicken. You do not need to add any extra oil.
- Mix together the ingredients for the yogurt dip
- Place a grilled chicken skewer in the middle of a flatbread.
- Drizzle a little yogurt and squeeze some lemon. Pull out the skewer, roll the flatbread and enjoy. Wrap the rolls in foil for ease of eating.
Other chicken recipes can be found here.
Until next time,