This whole wheat apple and cinnamon cake is full of autumnal flavours. It has a slightly firm topping from the demerara sugar and the most delightfully soft crumb. It was bursting with the warm flavour of cinnamon and pieces of apples in each bite.
Autumn has truly arrived in our neck of the woods. And with it, came the apples from the tree that I planted almost a decade ago. Time surely flies.
The other day, I was wondering how best to use up the apple harvest in addition to eating them on their own.
Visions of over the top desserts came to mind. But then, I paused and realised that things do not have to be glitzed up all the time to deliver results. So, I celebrated the apples in this very simple, rustic looking and fuss free whole wheat apple and cinnamon cake. Cinnamon and apple are a match made in heaven and this combination worked perfectly in this cake. The daughter declared this as one of the best fruit cakes that I have made. And trust me, she is not biased!
Sometimes the simplest of things can bring so much pleasure. If you are looking for an easy peasy apple cake recipe that will also deliver on the taste, this cake comes highly recommended. You do not need any specialised equipment, nor are there any complicated steps.
Continue reading for the detailed printable recipe / video for this whole wheat apple and cinnamon cake.
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
Whole wheat apple and cinnamon cake
- 1¼ cup plain whole wheat flour ( I used atta)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple ( I needed 1 medium sized apple for this). The pieces should not be too thick or thin.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar for topping
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch baking pan with foil.
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon and apples. Mix well with a spatula and keep aside.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, oil, yogurt and granulated sugar. Lightly whisk everything together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
- Mix together with a spatula until everything is just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the lined baking pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top.
- Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- After a few minutes, lift the cake from the pan and remove the foil.
- Place the cake back on the rack and cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
All the cake recipes on this website can be found here.
You might also like to try these other recipes from this website-
Until next time,