All four of us are die hard chocoholics. But that does not mean that we do not enjoy other flavours too. Citrus flavours are quite dear to us and this whole wheat lemon and coconut cake fits the bill perfectly. It has a beautiful crumb, is full of lemony flavours with a bite from the coconut and the nuttiness from the whole wheat. And the lemon icing on top adds an extra zing!
The UK steps into stage three of the relaxation of rules with regard to the pandemic. One of the things that is now allowed is that people from different households are able to hug. The past year has been difficult for everyone, and the pandemic is still raging in full force in many parts of the world. In the midst of all the doom and gloom, it has also taught us the value of so many things that we take for granted; a hug being one of them. We have always been told about the silent power of a hug. And for more than a year, we have had to refrain from it. From today, we are once again allowed to hug. And I can only hope and pray that we move forward on an irreversible path and that others are able to do so soon.
Coming back to the whole wheat lemon and coconut cake, not only is it scrummy, but is relatively easy to put together . I have drizzled a zingy lemon icing on top. However, if you are worried about the extra sugar, then go ahead and enjoy the cake on its own. As I mentioned before, the crumb of this cake is delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the cake. In fact, the other half has been making way too many trips to the kitchen and hovering over the cake tin!!
Continue reading for the full printable recipe / video for the whole wheat lemon and coconut cake.
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
Whole wheat, lemon and coconut cake
- 1¼ cup plain whole wheat flour ( I used atta)
- ⅓ cup +3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup yoghurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
For lemon icing-
- 1½ cup icing sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch square pan with foil
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut and baking powder.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, caster sugar, oil, yoghurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk well with a hand whisk for about 1½ minutes.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
- Fold in until everything is well mixed together. Do not over mix.
- Tip the batter into the lined cake pan and smooth the top.
- Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 25-27 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack for 2 minutes and then very carefully take the cake out of the pan and remove the foil.
- Place the cake back on the rack and cool completely.
- To make the icing, whisk together the icing sugar and lemon juice. Transfer the icing to a piping bag, snip the end and drizzle across the top of the cooled cake.
- Let the icing firm up and then cut into squares. I cut mine into 16 generous ones.
- Serve and store any remaining pieces in an air tight container.
All the baking recipes on this website can be found here.
You might also like to try the following recipes from this website-
Until next time,