These cheese bites l cheese cookies (eggless) come with a warning. ‘They can be very addictive’; there- don’t tell me later that I didn’t warn you! They are small crisp cookies that are packed full of flavour and you might not stop at just one. I created this recipe more than a dozen years ago. In other words, this too, is one of the recipes that came from ‘the notebook’. Not sure what I’m talking about? Click here to read all about it.
The weather continues to play mind games with us. On the one hand, the sun has been shining down on us since the last few days, but the temperatures are in single digits for most parts of the day. A day working in the garden can leave one chilled to the bone by the end of it. The plants must be so confused too! However, grateful for the sunshine and the gorgeous sunrise and sunsets that we’ve been enjoying.
Anyway, coming back to these cheese bites l cheese cookies, a few notes-
Red Leicester cheese-
I used Red Leicester cheese – one of our favourites – in these cookies. It is an English cheese, originally from Leicestershire in England, which has a deep orange hue with a slightly open texture and mild lemony flavour. The colour in this cheese comes from the addition of annatto (wiki) extract during manufacture. Red Leicester cheese is made in a similar manner to cheddar cheese, but is crumblier.
Although, there will be a slight difference in taste, cheddar cheese can be substituted for Red Leicester cheese in these cookies. Of course, if you use cheddar cheese, the colour will also differ as it will not have the orange hue that Red Leicester imparts. But it should still taste good.
The cookie dough-
Make sure that you do not over handle the dough. We just to need to mix everything with our fingertips till everything comes together. Do not knead!
These little crispy cheesy bites were really addictive and the pungency of the nigella seeds complemented them very well. Great if you’re looking for a savoury treat to nibble on!!
Continue reading for the full printable recipe for these cheese bites l cheese cookies.
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
Cheese bites l Cheese cookies
- 1 cup plain whole wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp nigella (kalonji) seeds
- 100 gms Red Leicester cheese, grated (see notes below)
- 3½ tbsp yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Except the cheese, yogurt and the oil, add all the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the cheese and whisk again.
- Make a well in the flour mixture. Add the oil and yogurt, one after the other and mix lightly with your fingertips till everything comes together…do not knead.
- Pinch out 40 portions of the dough and shaping them roughly into balls, place them on a baking tray, a little apart from each other.
- Flatten them with the back of a fork, both horizontally and vertically.
- Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or till slightly golden round the edges.
- Cool for a couple of minutes on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
- Cheddar cheese can be substituted for Red Leicester cheese in these cookies. The taste might differ slightly, but will still be good. Of course, the colour will also differ as it will not have the orange hue that Red Leicester imparts.
All the baking recipes on this website can be found here.
You might like to try these other recipes from my website-
Until next time,