These aloo-methi-cream cheese parathas (potato, fenugreek and cream cheese parathas) are truly delicious and one of our favourites. Boiled and mashed potatoes, fenugreek leaves and cream cheese are added to the dough to flavour it.
We love parathas, one of the most popular flatbreads from the Indian sub continent. Although the aloo paratha (parathas stuffed with a potato filling) remain our firm favourites, other non stuffed parathas come out from my kitchen too and are equally relished. And these aloo-methi-cream cheese parathas are one of them.
The main ingredients , I must admit, were all leftovers; the cream cheese were left over from a cheesecake I made earlier; the methi(fenugreek leaves from some other dish and the potatoes were the last ones left, and which were ready to sprout any minute! But they all bonded together very nicely with the flour and we enjoyed these soft parathas for lunch. Sometimes, bits of this and that can indeed be brought together to form a wholesome meal.
We have developed quite a fondness for these soft parathas and wouldn’t mind making them again and again. These parathas, accompanied by a dal and some homemade mango pickle were a nice and complete meal, and we rose from the table, quite happy with what we’ve just savoured.
Continue reading for the recipe for these Aloo-methi-cream cheese parathas.
All the Indian recipes on this website can be found here.
You might also like to try the following recipes from this website-
Subscribe to Sunita’s World – life and food! to receive updates on latest posts, tips and recommendations straight to your inbox! Simply fill in the details below. Thank you!
On another note, if you try any recipe from this website, do take a photo and tag me on instagram @sunita_bhuyan. I would love to see your creations! Also, do connect on other socials too; links to all my socials are given below-STAY CONNECTED:
Aloo-methi-cream cheese parathas
- 4 small potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 2 cups finely chopped fenugreek/methi leaves
- 5 tbsp of cream cheese
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp sunflower / vegetable oil plus a little extra for cooking the parathas
- 3 cups plain whole wheat flour
- Beat together the potatoes and the cheese till smooth and creamy.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, flour, salt and oil and mix to form a dough ( it will be quite sticky)
- Knead the dough for a few minutes; a floured worktop and floured hands should help.
- Divide the dough into 15-16 portions (shape into balls and slightly flatten them, I did not make them too big) and roll out into discs of about a mm in thickness (note- roll the balls of dough in flour and also the rolling pin to avoid sticking to it) .
- Heat and grease a pan over medium heat and place a rolled paratha on it.
- Cook for about 11-12 seconds on each side and again for about 4-5 seconds on each side, or till dark brown spots begin to appear.
- Repeat for all the rest of the balls of dough, stacking them one top of the other as you finish cooking and wrap in foil
- Serve hot with yogurt, pickles etc. Simple curries will also go well with the parathas. We had ours with just some simple dal and pickle.
You might also like these other recipes from this website-
Until next time,